Return to the Forum homepage
TOGGLE

Pages
Sites
Account

Reichenau, Rax mountains, Austria

In 1883, Nathaniel von Rothschild (1836-1905) asked the architects Armand-Louis Bauqué and Emilio Pio to design him a country house in Lower Austria. Their designs involved the use of three materials, brick, stone and slate, to create a polychrome effect. Nathaniel hesitated for a long time over the designs and building progressed slowly. Finally in 1898, Nathaniel’s sister Alice visited and expressed her disappointment with the still incomplete building which she found ugly and not enough like Ferdinand’s house at Waddesdon. Nathaniel determined to hand the building over to the local township, asking that it should become a tubercular hospital. The town council feared that this would have an adverse effect on local tourism and the house instead became a military hospital. It remains in State possession.

Return to Estates listing
Small