Inchmery House, Hampshire, England
Inchmery House has its own beach and overlooks the Isle of Wight and the Solent.
In the 18th century, Inchmery House was owned by the Mitford family. The house and estate was later acquired by Lord Foster, Governor General of Australia, who sold the property to Lionel de Rothschild (1882-1942) in 1912. Seven years later, Lionel acquired the neighbouring Exbury Estate in order to create his magnificent rhododendron and azalea, and ater substantial remodelling, moved into Exbury House.
During the 1930s, the Hon. Mr. and Mrs. Denis Berry, Lionel's daughter and son-in-law acquired Inchmery House. In 1943, Inchmery House was the base for the Bardsea operations during the Second World War. After the war, the house was returned to Lionel's son, Edmund de Rothschild, where he lived with his wife and family whilst Exbury House was renovated.
The Rothschilds sold Inchmery House in 1997.Return to Estates listing