6, Buckingham Palace Gate, Belgravia, England
No.6 Buckingham Palace Gate is a classic white stucco-fronted 19th-century town house situated directly opposite Buckingham Palace. It stands in the former grounds of the Jacobean mansion, Tart Hall. In 1633 the Hall was purchased by Thomas Howard, the Earl of Arundel, for his wife, Lady Alethea, as a pleasant retreat from Arundel House, near the Strand. The newly laid road ‘Buckingham Gate’ first appeared on the ordnance survey map of 1869.
No. 6 Buckingham Palace Gate was the London town house of Nathaniel (Natty), 1st Lord Rothschild (1840-1915), and he is believed to have rented it from around 1867, when he married his cousin Emma von Rothschild (1844-1935). Their sons Lionel Walter (1868-1937) and Nathaniel Charles (1877-1923) were both born there.
Natty gave up the house c.1879, when he inherited the grander property at 148 Picadilly from his father Baron Lionel de Rothschild (1808-1879).Return to Estates listing