Chalet des Oyats, Berck-sur-mer, France
In 1878, James Edouard de Rothschild bought two hectares of land at Berck-sur-Mer within a couple of hundred yards of the tubercular hospital he had built in 1871. Here he built a Swiss style chalet among the dunes facing the sea with the intention of spending the summer months there. James called it the ‘Chalet des Oyats’, oyats being a sort of gorse that grows in sand dunes.
Compared with many seaside villas, the Chalet des Oyats was relatively simple, although like others it was polychrome, and shared with them a steep-pitched roof, gables and polychrome. It was raised above ground level on wooden legs and was surrounded by a verandah.
After James’ death, his widow Laura Thérèse used it as her seaside villa. Here she started a clinic for consumptive children. The chalet was destroyed during the Second World War.Return to Estates listing